Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Week 20

Day 136

Good visit with my orthopedic doctor, no surgery needed.  The diagnosis is Calcium Pyrophosphate Deposition Disease (CCPD), a pseudo gout like problem otherwise known as Chondrocalicinosis.  Similar to gout, the problem lies in calcium deposits in the fluid surrounding the knee due to aging.  I recently stopped taking glucosamine/chondroitin which contains shell fish and might be contributing to the swelling and pain.  I was given a cortisone shot and will be on an ibuprofen regimen along with icing and hopefully, I can contain the main symptoms.  I have been instructed to take the rest of the week off from running which is fine.

So, all in all, I'm pleased with the prognosis and look forward to wrapping up Phase II on Sunday of this week.  I will post soon, the Phase III plan for the next ten weeks.  I will be traveling to Dallas next week to begin two weeks of soccer camp at Southern Methodist University.  I will continue to report on the progress of the twinkie2diet!

No comments:

Post a Comment