Monday, June 6, 2011

Week 17

Day 113

Weigh-in #17- 202.5 lbs., just back from Denver and a rarity for the diet thus far, weight gain.  I actually ate healthy last week but some key factors did come into play.  First, I have had timing issues since school got out.  The regular feeding schedule has been difficult to follow due to travel, sleep patterns, etc.  The conference was very good but the sessions didn't necessarily fit into the normal feeding time either.  Secondly, I have had a "nightmare" with my left knee all spring/summer.  I did a great deal of walking in the Denver Convention Center and this left my knee throbbing constantly.  I was only able to run once, a great run, but I did get in a very good pool workout, yet both contributed to my discomfort and frustration.  I compensated by taking ibuprofen and a prescription pain med, both leaving me constipated and retaining fluids. I usually only weigh myself once a week but this week I will check my weight on Wednesday.  Finally, I did splurge a couple of times, DQ and more red meat than usual, but all in all, I didn't do that poorly.

Also, a note about the ACSM Conference, it was quality!  I sat in on many sessions that related to nutrition as well as exercise.  The research that is currently going on is amazing.  I did make contact with several vendors about body fat equipment, diet analysis programs, and diagnostic equipment of many types.  One interesting result of all this was the vendor who was selling ultra sound equipment.  He noticed how uncomfortable I was when walking and offered to do an ultra sound on my knee.  The fluid that built up lateral and posterior of the knee was significant.  An interesting observation was a chrystal-like material in the fluid that could be an indication of Gout!  One of the potential results of losing weight quickly is a build-up of uric acid.  Anyway, I have an appointment setup with my orthopedic doctor for the end of June (soonest he could get me in) and hopefully we can get to the bottom of things.  I'll try to be patient, keep icing, and use pain meds when necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment